Ford C6 Neutral Safety Switch Wiring Diagram

Joined

·

622 Posts

Discussion Starter · #1 ·

how do i bypass a neutral safety switch?ive heard of people having problems with theirs and other than the "safety thing" (im willing to take my chances) i dont see why i would even need it. Im having starting problems and i been chasing it for a while and would like to just splice the wires and be done with it. My Car is a 1968 with a C6 and column shifter. I just want to know which color wires i would splice really.

Joined

·

188 Posts

Yes it can be done. Now with that being said fords are notorious for jumping in to gear. I've been driving old cars daily since I started driving (20 yrs now) while it is not nessassry to have the safety switch I would recomend keeping it. The first time you, (or somebody else, and I stress the somebody else!) starts the car and it takes off into something, you will wish you would have had it!

Not trying to preach, because I'm the first one to say; "Safety?!? Whats that?... eh...you dont need that!" - but I kinda recomend this one.

As mabey some help. Do you have to pull up on the gearshifter before it will start? If thats the case that is one of the most common problems w/older fords. My 68 dose it bad, and will not start unless you pull the shifer the way over, and I have to many other things to work on to worry about it, (I'll wait till it wont start) and my 71 console shift car has to be push all the way sometimes.

The shifter needs to be adjusted.

Yea, I ramble, I shut up now.

Joined

·

622 Posts

Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

My e-brake doesnt work either so even if were to ever "jump" into gear, i would be screwed before i even get into the car, being that it is parked on my driveway (incline) 98% of its life. Also, with the 700HP engine it will have in it within the next month or so, i doubt there will be any other person that i will allow to drive this thing.

Joined

·

188 Posts

I dont let anybody drive my stuff, but you never know what might might happen in the future; IE someone helping you, ever have to have it driven,or moved by someone, you never know. Just my two cents.

Joined

·

188 Posts

Plus me being a kid in the 70's, and growing up on a used car lot I have personally seen fords jump into gear, and had it happen to me when I was about 10 yrs old helping my dad move a 70 something ford truck; scary.

Joined

·

401 Posts

Notice how even though there are responses, still no one has actually answered the question at hand? The neutral safety switch, as long as it works, will probably save one of your bumpers or fenders one day......if not your own ass.;) :cool:

Joined

·

622 Posts

Discussion Starter · #7 ·

well, it looks like im on my own then.Im still gettin rid of it.........

Joined

·

622 Posts

Discussion Starter · #8 ·

........... The neutral safety switch, as long as it works, will probably save one of your bumpers or fenders one day......if not your own ass.;) :cool:

and itll probably leave you stranded in a bad neighborhood inthe middle of the night as well.my safety is more important than my fenders safety..............

Joined

·

4,075 Posts

they dont just stop working -- that switch is there for a reason--
stop and think--

if you have to wiggle the shift lever to start the car -- adjust the safty switch-- it takes about 10 mins and is very easy to do--

that switch could save your life or some kids -- dont be stupid

Joined

·

1,530 Posts

My e-brake doesnt work either so even if were to ever "jump" into gear, i would be screwed before i even get into the car, being that it is parked on my driveway (incline) 98% of its life. Also, with the 700HP engine it will have in it within the next month or so, i doubt there will be any other person that i will allow to drive this thing.

I do not understand this. You are having trouble starting your car but you don't say what trouble you are having. So, rather than fix the problem you're ready to start tossing items that might be the problem?

You're installing an aftermarket BB stroker. Cool. What will you do when you have trouble starting that engine?

700 horse? I presume you'll want to take it to the track? Guess what? No NS = failed tech and no racing. Car going to run faster than 11.50? Not having a ratcheting shifter = failed tech and no racing. After market shifters have NS too. Going to remove that as well?

Identify and correct the starting problem. Do not remove the neutral safety switch. Fix your e-brake. Better have a look at your brake system before you put that new engine in while you're at it.

ShotRod64

Joined

·

21,924 Posts

My ebrake doesn't hole worth a hoot to keep it from rolling backwards, might slow it down though so i use it and cramp the wheels toward a curb or some other large object just in case.
Most old fords til you put new parts in have the sloppy gear shifter if that could be the cause of the NS not working. It is working but the driver needs to put a little more effort into starting it. Like just hold the handle up a tiny bit? Mine is fine with the column slid over but otherwise it has to be held. Too much slop.
You do it autopilot if you've had the car long enough. My door handle spring that pushes it back forward after opeing the door has been broke forever. I don't even think bout it anymore, pull the handle push it back.
I have to have that NS just for the peace of mind. The mechanicals and safety features are more important than anything else. I'd hate to have it take off and mow over a bunch of innocent people. Didn't someone on the list here have something similar happen or was it just the case of the hotrod engine and getting carried away? Only takes seconds for something to go very wrong.

Joined

·

4,075 Posts

what bothers me is -- if your up front working on the engin and bump it ove t-such as to set the points or adjust the valves -and the dam thing is in gear and starts -- lots easyer to fix the safty switch than pay the hospital bill

Joined

·

622 Posts

Discussion Starter · #13 ·

what bothers me is -- if your up front working on the engin and bump it ove t-such as to set the points or adjust the valves -and the dam thing is in gear and starts -- lots easyer to fix the safty switch than pay the hospital bill

what idiot parks their car while its in gear???

Joined

·

622 Posts

Discussion Starter · #14 ·

I do not understand this. You are having trouble starting your car but you don't say what trouble you are having. So, rather than fix the problem you're ready to start tossing items that might be the problem?.............

i dont have to give you a backstory to my life, ive been chasing this starting problem for a while now,ive even made a few threads about it so dont jump to conclusions. Ive owned a car before that didnt have a neutral safety switch (94' Impala) because the owner installed a floor shifter in it, never was it ever a problem in that car. If you guys dont want to help out thats fine, but please dont hijack this thread and turn it into a "lets change the world" thread because i want to get rid of my neutral safety switch, if you dont agree or like it, dont reply, this way i dont get any help, comprende?

Joined

·

622 Posts

Discussion Starter · #15 ·

My ebrake doesn't hole worth a hoot to keep it from rolling backwards, might slow it down though so i use it and cramp the wheels toward a curb or some other large object just in case.
Most old fords til you put new parts in have the sloppy gear shifter if that could be the cause of the NS not working. It is working but the driver needs to put a little more effort into starting it. Like just hold the handle up a tiny bit? Mine is fine with the column slid over but otherwise it has to be held. Too much slop. ............

im going to try that, thanks.

Joined

·

1,530 Posts

i dont have to give you a backstory to my life, ive been chasing this starting problem for a while now,ive even made a few threads about it so dont jump to conclusions. Ive owned a car before that didnt have a neutral safety switch (94' Impala) because the owner installed a floor shifter in it, never was it ever a problem in that car. If you guys dont want to help out thats fine, but please dont hijack this thread and turn it into a "lets change the world" thread because i want to get rid of my neutral safety switch, if you dont agree or like it, dont reply, this way i dont get any help, comprende?

Okee dokee, you da boss.

Best of luck and I am OUT.

Joined

·

4,075 Posts

me to- im not helping to make a car more dangerious - its all fun and games untill you run over some one

Joined

·

259 Posts

Anytime we do ANYTHING to these cars, we, in a way make these cars more dangerous, im sure nobody here has ever added fiberglass bumpers, or added more HP or anything like that. Dont let their exagerations put you down, since we're both in the bay area ill offer to come down and help u out even.

"its all fun and games till you run over some one"???? i take it youve upgraded all of your galaxies weaknesses (parking sensors,thicker sway bars, disc brakes ALL AROUND, rear camera,etc....) in order to keep everyone else around you safe???

Joined

·

322 Posts

what idiot parks their car while its in gear???

I'm going to guess the same idiot who doesn't have a neutral safety switch?

It's not that you park the car in gear it's that you move it into neutral to work on it and start it in neutral not park. And it gets bumped into gear or the slop in the column shifter that causes the neutral safety switch to "act up" results in the car not being in neutral but in gear. And then you start it thinking "well, it's in neutral". That is when you wife asks you why the Galaxie is in the garage and the living room.

My 62' has no problems starting in park at all but when it dies and I want to start it in neutral because I only have to move the shifter one notch from Drive to neutral, I have to "search" a little for neutral. How do I know I am actually in neutral and not in gear? Because the NS keeps me from starting the car until I truly have the shifter in neutral even it may look like from the column shifter I am in neutral.

And there is Murff's good point about where you plan to drive this 700hp beast. You won't be driving at a track unless you have the NS switch.

Joined

·

6,080 Posts

Maurice, er, well once I parked my car (drinking) and left it in drive and later started it by jumping the relay. If you are going to try that, stand to the side! However think that (idiot) move was possible whether the NSS was bypassed or not.

As for your comment: "If you guys dont want to help out thats fine, but please dont hijack this thread and turn it into a "lets change the world" thread because i want to get rid of my neutral safety switch, if you dont agree or like it, dont reply, this way i dont get any help, comprende?" ... I completely agree with your sentiments and admire the gentle way you phrased it even though you were probably steaming mad at the rude replies from people whose righteousness and pompousness exceeds their helpfulness and knowledge of Ford Galaxies.

Source: https://www.fordmuscleforums.com/threads/can-i-bypass-neutral-safety-switch.472556/

Posted by: careybertonea.blogspot.com

Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

Slate Floor Tiles Green - Flooring Tiles Light Green Slate Tile C4736 Refine Industrial Co Limited - *we mainly concentrates on producing and exporting chinese natural slates, quartzite, travertine etc, and they cover roofing, flooring and walling.

White Undermount Kitchen Sink Australia Covid Cases Lowest : 860 X 500mm Carysil White Double Bowl Granite Kitchen Sink Top Flush Under Mount / Best white undermount kitchen sink.

White Floor Tiles With Black Border - Victorian Mosaics Topps Tiles - We did not find results for: